x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thunderbird Farms Repeater
12-11-2016, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2016 09:22 AM by W6SDM-Steve.)
Photo Thunderbird Farms Repeater
We have started the construction of the antenna that will be used for the Thunderbird Farms repeater. When completed, the repeater will operate on 447.725 Mhz PL 100.0, standard offset.

This System Fusion digital and analog repeater is at an altitude of about 1,400 feet above sea level, which should provide excellent coverage to the Maricopa area.

Here is a picture of the water tank where the repeater will be located.

[Image: tbird%20farms%20repeater%201-X2.jpg]

More images and updates will be posted as our installation progresses.

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-12-2016, 01:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2016 01:18 AM by W6SDM-Steve.)
Photo RE: Thunderbird Farms Repeater
After several hours of precise measuring, cutting and careful assembling, our antenna measured a respectable 1.2-1.5:1 SWR across the entire 70cm band.

[Image: IMG_0605%281%29-XL.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0627%281%29-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0613%281%29-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0631%281%29-L.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0633%281%29-L.jpg]

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

12-12-2016, 09:17 PM
RE: Thunderbird Farms Repeater
All that is left is to seal and/or protect all the connections & elements and place on its permanent mast. Once that is done, it will be ready to serve the community with 70cm coverage.

Curt - NA7CS, old-school Advanced Class.
If I wanted to be an appliance operator, I would be working in a kitchen.
12-16-2016, 08:49 AM
Nice, wish I could have been there!

Chris
W7CGC - General / ARRL VE
[Image: mara-sig.jpg][Image: vec.jpg][Image: wfr.JPG]
04-13-2017, 08:41 PM
A quick update. I have sealed and weatherproofed the phasing harness, but need some help in adding a PVC cover over the individual elements. This is a quick and easy process for two people. One person heats the PVC and the second uses a rubber mallet to assist the element into the PVC.

If this is not done, then the copper will be exposed. This should not cause a problem, but it will not be a pretty.

Curt - NA7CS, old-school Advanced Class.
If I wanted to be an appliance operator, I would be working in a kitchen.
07-09-2017, 10:40 PM
Sunday morning, Chris, W7CGC, Curt, NA7CS, Pat, KG7LGG, and myself went out to the Thunderbird Farms Water Improvement District site to install repeater equipment. Construction on the site was completed a couple of weeks ago and the site has been turned over to the District by the contractor, so that means we're now authorized to place our equipment and antenna.

[Image: IMG_1307-L.jpg]

Chris did most of the heavy lifting. We had to fabricate an antenna mount to secure the antenna to the access ladder, install the mount, and then raise the antenna. We also placed the equipment in the new equipment room. Pat went to the top of the tower, which is only 33 feet off the ground, but it looks much higher when you're standing at the bottom of the ladder.

[Image: IMG_1340-L.jpg]

We did get the antenna up, but decided in the interest of safety and doing it right the first time that we needed an additional clamp to secure the antenna from high winds. We will be getting that acquired and installed, and finish placing the equipment.

Central Arizona College now has a date that's been agreed upon by our climbers. Hopefully, they will approve that date and we can get that system on the air as well.

Both CAC and Thunderbird have been a year-long project, but we're finally getting there.

[-] The following 1 user Likes W6SDM-Steve's post:
W7RBH (07-10-2017)
07-10-2017, 10:06 AM
Bravo Zulu, Guys! Regret I'm unable to attend and assist :-(
07-10-2017, 10:32 AM
It was hot as heck out too...

Chris
W7CGC - General / ARRL VE
[Image: mara-sig.jpg][Image: vec.jpg][Image: wfr.JPG]
10-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Thanks to all of your hard work, the 449.125 repeater is back on the air at Thunderbird Farms! Right now the bugs are still being worked out of it, but it has fair coverage over most of the Maricopa area.

Please check it and let us know how well you can hear it!

MARA Board Member
[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: 15206970849_6b3e7042dd_s.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-22-2017, 08:21 PM
I hit repeater just fine from my home in Casa Grande and receive almost a full signal back with only a little hiss. Good job!