Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MARA Spring Outdoor Event
03-13-2017, 08:08 AM
MARA Spring Outdoor Event
On Saturday, April 15, MARA will be hosting an outdoor ham radio activity. We will be running at least two stations on solar/battery power. The idea is not only to sharpen our skills at building and operating solar-powered stations but also giving everyone in the club who may not presently be operating on HF a chance to operate in a low-key, non-contest environment. The only objectives are to have fun, socialize, and learn something new.

This is not just a MARA club activity, however. Anyone who is interested is welcome to come by, observe, operate, or just hang around. If there’s enough interest, we will bring the VE testing materials along and administer tests. If you’re interested, let us know and we will have the material and examiners ready for you.
We are going to the Jim Korsten West Pinal Park, located on SR 84, just west of SR 347. It’s off of exit 151 on Interstate 8. The park is about 15 miles south of Maricopa, about 27 miles west of Casa Grande. I’ve included a map of how to get there.

The park has several ramadas, cooking grills, and primitive bathroom facilities. Everyone should bring their own water. We’re also going to have a cookout - $5.00 per head gets you hamburgers, hotdogs, soda, and the like. You’re also welcome to bring your own stuff along. If you’re going to eat, please RSVP to Chris, W7CGC, at ccanevit@canevit.com.

Come on out and enjoy the Sonoran desert spring and socialize with other ham operators.

[Image: ham%20radio%20event%20%281%29.jpg]

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2017, 09:09 PM
RE: MARA Spring Outdoor Event
Steve can you tell me what program you are using to log the event. I want to have it installed on my tablet to see if it works. Thanks
04-14-2017, 08:20 AM
It's on my schedule for tomorrow. Hopefully the wife follows through and lets me come and play.

MARA Board Member
[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: 15206970849_6b3e7042dd_s.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-15-2017, 07:44 PM
It was a fun day of playing radio in the park. The propagation could have been a little better, but the weather was perfect, lots of sun for the solar panels and a cool breeze under the ramada. Even though we were low on sunspots, 20M and 40M were hopping!
A big thanks to Steve and Chris for organizing this event, getting the food, and cooking. Thanks, David, for taking and posting the pictures.
04-15-2017, 09:03 PM
I was out activating Lake Vermilion State Park in Tower Minnesota and N6YPE, Bob came back to me.

That was my favorite QSO of the day!

[Image: vy45n7.jpg]

I hope all is well in Maricopa and to all a happy Easter.

73 WØPHX (George in Minnesota)
[-] The following 3 users Like WØPHX-George's post:
N6YPE-Bob (04-16-2017), N7FAN-David (04-16-2017), W7CGC-Chris (04-27-2017)
04-16-2017, 09:52 AM
Good seeing you out there on the other side of the world, George. Bob must have been having a lot of fun - we barely saw him until Chris started cooking. I think the smell got him over.

It was a lot of fun. The weather was nice as long at you were out of the sun - somewhere in the high 80s. The solar panels performed much better than I expected - this was the first time I've actually used them under "real life" conditions. It was also the first time I've had them any distance from the rig.

It looks like this park is also going to be our choice for Field Day this year. I sent a letter off to Pinal County to get our reservations started. Aside from the anticipated heat, you couldn't ask for a better location.

I will be looking forward to seeing David's pictures.

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

04-16-2017, 09:55 AM
Nate, I use Log4OM for everything except contesting. It is a super capable program, well written and strongly supported. I just got a new update yesterday.

It's a free program (donations accepted) that was written by an Italian programmed and supported by a whole team of hams, much like N1MM is. The two programs work nicely together. Log4OM supports Logbook of the World and most other online logging services.

There is a portable version that will likely work on your Windows tablet.

04-16-2017, 12:29 PM
There are pictures posted on the club facebook page. http://www.facebook.com/copahams