x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Less is More!
03-24-2017, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-24-2017 12:43 AM by W6SDM-Steve.)
Less is More!
What's the tiniest PC in the world? Well, for years now it's been the Raspberry Pi. The Pi was developed as a basic and inexpensive PC for use in schools and developing countries. The initial cost was under $50.00. Because of its small size and price tag, it became popular in robotics and special applications like amateur weather stations. The latest version, the Raspberry Pi Zero, is $10.00.

There have been several versions over time, and the latest and smallest is the Raspberry Pi Zero. I ordered mine just after they came available in February 2017. They sold out and I had to wait until mine came in the mail this week.

[Image: raspberry%20pi%20zero%20and%20quarter-L.jpg]

It's about half the size of a credit card (65mm long x 30mm wide x 5mm thick) and about half the size of previous models. The operating system and data are stored on a micro SD card. It has an HDMI port for video output and one USB "on-the-go" port. To get analog audio, you need a HDMI monitor with speakers. Performance is about the same as the Pi models A and B, just smaller.

[Image: Location_of_connectors_and_ICs_on_Raspbe...ro.svg.png]

The USB jacks are micro B. I use a small powered hub and a USB OTG Micro-B to A cable. This allows me to plug in a Logitech Unifying adapter for keyboard and mouse I/O. My small hub is powered, so I use the hub to power the Pi as well.

[Image: raspberry%20pi%20zero-L.jpg]

This picture shows the Pi Zero in a plastic case, which is great to protect it if your application permits. The board has a spot to solder in a GPIO header if you want one. But another idea is to use a right angle socket header and make the Pi Zero a daughter board of sorts.

[Image: raspberry_pi_zero_iso_demo_3A_ORIG-L.jpg]

All of the Raspberry Pi versions use a Raspbian version of Linux. You can also use Windows 10 IoT core. Pretty cool little device for $10.00. Be careful, though - some places are selling it for much more, and many add in a bunch of "stuff" in a bundle and really jack up the price. I got mine from Adafruit for exactly ten bucks plus shipping.

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply