x

Username:

Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
General Information
05-08-2017, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2017 07:44 AM by N7FAN-David.)
General Information
It's past time to create a separate thread for this year's event.

The May Business Meeting will focus more on planning for the event. Come and join us!

[Image: 33702180764_8e05e2964d_b.jpg]

Attached File(s)
.pdf  field day 2017.pdf (Size: 1 MB / Downloads: 3)

MARA Board Member
[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: 15206970849_6b3e7042dd_s.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes N7FAN-David's post:
N6YPE-Bob (05-09-2017)
05-13-2017, 11:49 PM
RE: General Information
The first Amateur Radio Field Day was 84 years ago, in 1933. History buffs know that was the year both Adolf Hitler and Franklin D. Roosevelt came to leadership in their respective countries. The United States was in the midst of the Great Depression and the Blaine Act was passed ending prohibition in the United States. Bonnie and Clyde were terrorizing the countryside.

With all that happening, amateur radio operators still found a way to disconnect their radios from the power grid, sparse as it was in those times, and operate off of non-commercial power. So, there's no excuse for participating in the 2017 Field Day activities. Who plans on being there? What would you like to see?

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
06-08-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm planning on being there... Anyone else? Would be good to get some ideas of times people will be there to operate and watch equipment.

I plan on trying to be there the entire time.

Chris
W7CGC - General / ARRL VE
[Image: mara-sig.jpg][Image: vec.jpg][Image: wfr.JPG]
06-08-2017, 06:07 PM
I will also be there the whole time. I will have sufficient camping capability to rest (crash) at the site as warranted.

I am planning on eating at the site and plan on bringing burgers and the fixins'. Anyone else who would like to join in is welcome too - we can pool our resources.

I will be bringing the 12AVQ tri-band vertical, a 40-10 meter Super Antenna, and a 40-meter rotatable dipole. We can share those antennas amongst the rigs, plus whatever other antennas anyone wants to bring along.

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

06-10-2017, 07:38 AM
I plan on tent camping there overnight. I will setup the tilted half-rhombic antenna, same as I had last time, it should be good from 6M down to 40M, and usable down to 160M. I bought a used Rigblaster digital interface box that I hope to have running there on the Icom 706mkIIg. With 100W of solar, I am pretty confident that I can use the laptop for logging and digital modes, but I will bring a paper log in case the laptop load is too large.
I worry about the fatique from heat, so I will bring a spray bottle for misting, and a folding lounge chair to relax in.
For the morning, I will have a camp stove and coffee pot with a few extra cups. I am not a great camp cook, but I can bring a bunch of granola bars and nuts to snack on.
06-26-2017, 09:52 AM
The idea was to air condition a tent in order to stay nice and cool. The portable air conditioning unit is designed for temperatures around 80-95 degrees, not 116. So, we ended up with two fans, which helped a little.

[Image: Field%20Day%202017%202-L.jpg]

Inside the tent, the temperature was a balmy 166 degrees, with some air circulation.

[Image: Field%20Day%202017%201-L.jpg]

06-26-2017, 10:00 AM
We moved the tent underneath the Ramada to keep a little more sun off of it.

[Image: IMG_20170624_193633_081-L.jpg]

Some fat guy operating with a cooling towel wrapped around his neck.

[Image: IMG_20170624_193838_490-L.jpg]

Bob, N6YPE, was serious about camping overnight and even had a Starbucks open the next morning for the rest of us who stayed overnight.

[Image: IMG_20170625_053300_139-L.jpg]

This event was as much social as it was technical. We spent a lot of time talking radio, politics, and solving the world's problems. You couldn't have asked for better surroundings.

[Image: IMG_20170624_193726_491-L.jpg]

06-27-2017, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-27-2017 06:56 PM by W6SDM-Steve.)
Here are some more pictures taken by Bryan McGhee, N7CX:

Both Stations were completely solar/battery powered for the entire contest.

[Image: solar%20panels-L.jpg]

We did use a generator, provided by Chris, W7CGC, to power the fans and computer.

[Image: generator.jpg]

And yes, we did remember to ground the generator. Thanks, Bryan.

[Image: grounded-L.jpg]

06-27-2017, 06:55 PM
This is Curt's six-meter antenna. We made several magic band contacts.

[Image: six%20meter%20antenna-L.jpg]

This is Curt, NA7CS, seeking Nirvana through meditation.

[Image: curt.jpg]

The camp.

[Image: camp%20FD.jpg]

Bob, fighting off DX so that he can log new sections.

[Image: bob%20n6ype-L.jpg]

Tim McCain, K7OB, and I, logging sections:

[Image: Steve%20and%20Tim-L.jpg]