Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EchoLink up and running on 449.800
07-27-2017, 05:55 PM
EchoLink up and running on 449.800
After a little head scratching I managed to get EchoLink working on my 449.800 repeater, PL 110.9. This is open to all to use within the limits of FCC rules Smile All I ask is, if you bring up a node you disconnect it when done. I have also configured it so that 5 separate stations can connect simultaneously. Depending on how that works, I can increase the number of "Conference" connections significantly.

For those curious, the repeater is a Motorola R1225 running 25W into a 6dBd antenna. The EchoLink interface is my SignaLink USB in VOX mode that has been collecting dust.

Here is a quick intro from the EchoLink web site and useful links.

"EchoLink software allows licensed Amateur Radio stations to communicate with one another over the Internet, using streaming-audio technology. The program allows worldwide connections to be made between stations, or from computer to station, greatly enhancing Amateur Radio's communications capabilities. There are more than 200,000 validated users worldwide — in 151 of the world's 193 nations — with about 6,000 online at any given time."

EchoLink differs from IRLP in that once a ham is registered, they can connect to any other registered repeater, link, conference or user directly in one of three ways. Hams can make connections through a local repeater or link station, using their computer and finally their smart phone. Each one can connect to the other directly.

Even though you can connect to a node using its call sign, the easiest way to connect to a node via DTMF would be with the node number. For example my node number is 885610. The best look-up tool for on-line node numbers is here. On-Line EchoLink Nodes

This is where you will find the DTMF commands. EchoLink DTMF Commands

There are some similarities with IRLP, and some differences. However I believe the many ways a station can connect to another station makes EchoLink a little more attractive.

In the coming days, the 448.525 repeater will be connected on the AllStar Link System. When done I will add a little ditty about it.

Curt - NA7CS, old-school Advanced Class.
If I wanted to be an appliance operator, I would be working in a kitchen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-28-2017, 08:30 AM
RE: EchoLink up and running on 449.800
I'm up north chasing balloons this weekend, but I will have to try this when I get back.

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]

07-28-2017, 12:43 PM
I should add there are three "Conference" nodes for JOTA. So when there is a JOTA event scheduled the local scouts have that available to them as well.

07-28-2017, 09:03 PM
I forgot to add, they even have a Conference just for you Steve. It is Geeks in Jeeps. Smile