Create an Account

Log in



or Register

  Lost Password?

Post Reply 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
Antenna Projects
03-28-2018, 09:16 AM
Post: #1
Antenna Projects
So it's been awhile since I've posted on here, so I thought I'd share a little of what I've had in the works.

I finally got my WT-51 tower up a couple of months ago, after going through the whole city permit process, and HOA process for over a year.

This included digging the pit for the tower base, building the base, and pouring the concrete.

Assembling the N4ARR Hexbeam
[Image: 20180121_160709_1518622067387.jpeg]

Preparing the Tower, mast and Rotor:
[Image: 20180121_160729_1518622063799.jpeg]

Attaching the Hexbeam and connecting the coax:
[Image: FullSizeR_03.jpg]

Lifting the tower into place was a complicated task, of pounding in earth anchors into the ground, to secure the tilt pole that rests against the concrete and attaches to the tower. I unfortunately did not get pictures of this, but the earth anchors are designed for 400lbs of force each.

Once the tower was in place we noticed the tower was not raising properly, so the cable had to be rerouted, and in order to do this, tension had to be taken off the cable. Good old leverage was used to take the pressure off, and it was taking awhile to reroute the cable, so my social media addiction probably kicked in here as I was holding the lever.

[Image: 20180121_172859_1518622059105.jpeg]

[Image: 20180121_172904_1518622062596.jpeg]

It was important to be able to raise the tower slightly because it was making contact with my dual band base antenna:
[Image: IMG_20180121_172854.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180121_172847.jpg]

Tower was finally up:
[Image: IMG_20180121_174754.jpg]

View from the front of the house:
[Image: IMG_20180130_124002.jpg]

One limitation that I had was that the hexbeam only goes down to 20M, and I had no option for 40M on the tower. So in order to install an antenna switch, and my 900Mhz Yagi antenna, the tower needed to be tilted back down, since I could not reach the feed point of the hexbeam with a ladder.

Everything seemed to be going well on the lowering of the tower, but make sure you check your straps when you do something like this. Because of the age of my straps, a strap did break, and the tower did fall a foot or two onto the frame we were using for safety in order to keep the tower off the ground and destroying the antenna. It barely survived, if the tower had fallen any further I don't think the frame would have survived, and my hexbeam also would not have survived. Fortunately the hexbeam bounced, and just some of the cords had to be reconnected:

[Image: IMG_20180318_105027.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180318_105022.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180318_105008.jpg]

As you may notice in the pictures, there may be a commonality in all of the antenna incidents... Hmm.

Big Grin

W7CGC - Extra/ ARRL VE
[Image: mara-sig.jpg][Image: vec.jpg][Image: wfr.JPG]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 

Forum Jump:

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us   Maricopa Amateur Radio Association Forum   Return to Top   Return to Content   Lite (Archive) Mode   RSS Syndication