Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Fusion Repeater Modifications
04-30-2018, 06:02 PM
Fusion Repeater Modifications
This morning Dale, KB7DD and Tim, NC6F, came out to my shack to do some necessary modifications on one of the club's Yaesu DR-1X Fusion repeaters. The modifications performed were;
  • Install a FUSE between the power supply and the TX radio.
  • Reduce the DC voltage from 13.7V to 12.8V.
  • Mount the Down East Microwave preamp inside the case.

To immediately answer the obvious question, there was absolutely no fuse between the power supply and either radio. As of today the TX radio is protected. If I had a smaller fuse we would have added protection to the RX radio. This shall be done in the future on this, and the remaining two Fusion repeaters the club owns.

Reducing the voltage will (slightly) reduce heat in the power supply and the TX radio while in transmit. Any reduction in heat is a good thing, even if it is only 5 - 10 deg F.

Tim removing the TX radio. (Note the lack of fuses in the power cord)
[Image: DSC01311_l.jpg]

The TX radio is now protected!!!
[Image: DSC01312_1.jpg]

This mod we did not have to do as the plastic piece was already removed. This allows unrestricted airflow from the fan to cool the internal components of the TX radio.
[Image: DSC01315_1.jpg]

The preamp has been installed. A more permanent mount will be used, as soon as I can find/think of one.
[Image: DSC01316_1.jpg]

Completed TX side modifications.
[Image: DSC01321_1.jpg]

Completed RX side modifications.
[Image: DSC01322_1.jpg]

Curt - NA7CS, old-school Advanced Class.
If I wanted to be an appliance operator, I would be working in a kitchen.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply