Password:

or Register

Lost Password?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
KSAA FM Radio Tower Site
09-09-2018, 02:04 PM
KSAA FM Radio Tower Site
My wife and I take morning walks up Radio Tower Road on the west side of Casa Grande Mountain. Since there is discussion about possibly locating a repeater or two nearby where the KSAA FM tower is located, we decided to take our morning walk up to that site. The road up to the site needs a vehicle with much higher ground clearance than my Ford Ranger. The gate is open and the hasp is cut off of it. The large tower looks to be in good shape. (Sorry for the big pics)

[Image: 0Dr81b7p_o.jpg]

[Image: TEovIh5M_o.jpg]

[Image: 2MldbHwE_o.jpg]

[Image: 7QzivhXP_o.jpg]

[Image: K5rL9Yaa_o.jpg]

[Image: M8CLW0D0_o.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2018, 02:06 PM
RE: KSAA FM Radio Tower Site
The shack however is in disrepair with a quarter of the roof missing and stripped of most electrical components:

[Image: s8hdturu_o.jpg]

[Image: YgM0wZIS_o.jpg]

[Image: lOm0NmFE_o.jpg]

[Image: ek6RyyBv_o.jpg]

[Image: pskmAqmn_o.jpg]

[Image: wvcmORQz_o.jpg]

[Image: WKXfw1Ij_o.jpg]

The small tower is down and quite damaged:

[Image: DjRVjtT8_o.jpg]

[Image: NZNMTwqJ_o.jpg]

[Image: uuHa0vCV_o.jpg]
09-09-2018, 09:44 PM
The site is in a great location to cover I-10 in both directions and Casa Grande. While I was able to have a clear conversation through the CAC repeater using an 8 watt HT, covering Maricopa may be a problem due to intervening high ground but the tower height may help get over it. I-8 West is on the other side of CG Mountain from this location.

I-10 East toward Tucson:

[Image: P7p8RTrx_o.jpg]

Across I-8 there is I-10 West and the haze of the Valley metro area:

[Image: Uj0nIXza_o.jpg]

I-8, Casa Grande, and the intervening high ground along with a mysterious giant finger:

[Image: CzyoQZAT_o.jpg]

There is a still quite a bit there to salvage and work with, we'll just have to decide whether its worth the time, effort, and expense.
09-10-2018, 08:25 AM
Wow, looks like someone went up there to rip out whatever copper they could recover from the place. If the structure isn't intact, I'm not sure that would be worth all the work. Plus it's obvious there is no electrical currently there, so that would have to be repaired and we'd have an electricity bill from it..

Chris
W7CGC - Extra/ ARRL VE
[Image: mara-sig.jpg][Image: vec.jpg][Image: wfr.JPG]
09-10-2018, 09:51 AM
Or buy solar panels, a charger, and batteries.
09-10-2018, 10:04 AM
How would we keep the equipment cooled?

Chris
W7CGC - Extra/ ARRL VE
[Image: mara-sig.jpg][Image: vec.jpg][Image: wfr.JPG]
09-10-2018, 02:58 PM
A lot of the commercial gear is robust enough to handle non-environmentally controlled locations. Some cooling fans to allow for air flow and all is well. Bottom line is there are way to many If's at this point in time. But if possible this site would need some work to get something back on the air. It may, or may not be worth it.
09-15-2018, 10:13 AM
This morning my wife and I hiked up the hill just to the west of the KSAA FM site. We got to the top just in time to watch a vehicle climb to the top rather quickly and park just to the right of the tower. It seems with the right vehicle it is possible to drive up that road to KSAA.

[Image: UEVZN4q3_o.jpg]
Today, 03:46 PM
Judging only from the section of road in your pictures, a stock Jeep shouldn't have a problem with that trail. We would need batteries to keep the repeater running at night and in inclement weather. Also, the building looks like it needs a whole new roof for waterproof integrity.

[Image: mara-sig.jpg] [Image: dxcc.jpg] [Image: WAC.jpg] [Image: was.jpg] [Image: skywarn.jpg] [Image: vec.jpg] [Image: QRZawards-sm.jpg] [Image: ARRL-Certificates%20-%20sm.jpg]